Cromohexal is a pharmacological agent with antiallergic effect. There are three forms of drug release: a spray in the nose, eye drops and a solution for inhalation. It belongs to the group of anti-allergic agents. It is known that many of its representatives have a number of negative side effects.
The drug Cromohexal is very popular, primarily due to its safety. Its use in justified situations is allowed even during pregnancy, unlike many other antiallergic medications and hormonal drugs.
Indications and contraindications for use
The specific purpose of the drug depends on the form of release. Each of them has its own indications and contraindications, which is shown in the table:
|Dosed nasal spray 2%||Chronic allergic rhinitis.Pollinosis (seasonal rhinitis).||Children under 5 years of age.||Hypersensitivity to the active substance or other components of the drug.I trimester of pregnancy (only if the expected effect is higher than the potential risk to the child).|
|Eye drops 2%||Chronic allergic conjunctivitis.Spring keratoconjunctivitis .Pollinosis (seasonal conjunctivitis).Allergic keratitis.Acute allergic reaction to external factors – cosmetics and household chemicals, domestic plants and animals.Prevention of seasonal allergic diseases.||Children under 2 years old.|
|Inhalation solution||Bronchial asthma (BA) of allergic genesis.BA of non-allergic genesis.Endogenous forms of asthma (due to stress, excessive exertion, the presence of infection; aspirin ).|
There are a number of situations in which the product must be used with caution. These include the following conditions:
Application during pregnancy
- carrying a child – despite the fact that the drug is considered a mild antiallergic drug, the effect of Cromohexal during pregnancy, the possibility of its effect on the course of fetal development has yet to be studied;
- liver failure;
- renal failure;
- polyps on the nasal mucosa.
In such cases, the solution is prescribed individually with careful consideration of the specific clinical situation. When not necessary, in such conditions, a minimum amount of medication should be used. It is possible to replace them with medicinal herbs that reduce the burden on the kidneys and liver.
Medicinal composition and release forms
All three possible pharmacological forms of the drug have similar organoleptic properties. In each case, the solution is clear or with a yellowish tinge that does not contain mechanical impurities. Cromohexal is produced in optimal packaging for the respective purpose:
- The nasal spray is packed in polyethylene bottles of 15 and 30 ml. To deliver the agent to the distant parts of the nasal cavity, they are equipped with a special device for spraying and dispensing.
- Eye drops are a 10 ml plastic dropper bottle.
- The solution for inhalation is a polyethylene ampoule bottle containing only 2 ml of medication.
In the first and second cases, each bottle is packed in a separate cardboard box. Inhalation medicinal solution contains 50 or 100 pieces in one package (5-10 tapes).
In addition to the active ingredient, cromoglycinic acid, the drug contains a number of auxiliary components:
- disodium salt of ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid;
- liquid sorbitol;
- benzalkonium chloride;
- sodium chloride;
- water for injection.
To maintain the required concentration of substances in the solution, they cannot be diluted. The components are included in the preparation both in the form of a nasal spray and in eye drops. The difference is that the nasal drug also contains acidic salts, sodium dihydrogen phosphate and sodium monohydrogen phosphate. In the ophthalmic version of Cromohexal , the composition also includes a salt with alkaline properties, disodium hydrogen phosphate dodecahydrate . In the latter case, when considering a solution for inhalation, everything is simpler. In addition to the active ingredient, it contains only purified water. All variants of Cromohexal are available without a prescription. It should be remembered that other forms, for example, capsule or tablet, are not provided.
The antiallergic effect of the drug is realized by acting on the membrane (membrane) of mast cells. They are the key link in the pathogenesis of allergy development. Exposure to the allergen causes an increase in the membrane permeability to calcium ions, which triggers a cascade of reactions that leads to the release of biologically active substances from mast cell granules. These are the main culprits in the development of processes that determine the clinical symptoms of allergies. Below are the main ones:
Solution for inhalation Cromohexal
- leukotrienes ;
- bradykinin ;
Cromohexal has a membrane stabilizing effect. It reduces the permeability of the plasma membrane for those very calcium ions, which prevents the degranulation and release of biologically active substances from the cell, and hence the development of an allergic reaction. A similar mechanism of action is relevant for all forms of this remedy.
The drug is most effective when administered prophylactically. The visible effect is observed within several days after the start of using the spray, eye drops or solution. With a full course, the effect may last for years.
How to use
The instructions for use give clear instructions on the rules for taking the drug. For each dosage form, the manufacturer has developed a separate algorithm:
- Spray into the nose. This dosage form is indicated when the child reaches the age of five. It should be administered intranasally . It is important to pre-clean the nasal passages. The course of therapy in the classic version lasts 1 month. After the relief of acute symptoms, regular use of the drug is stopped and resumed only as needed, for example, with new contact with an allergen. With proper treatment, in most cases, unwanted symptoms disappear completely.
- Eye drops. The medicine is instilled into the area of the conjunctival sac in each eye. Here, as in the previous case, after relieving the condition, the drops are used only as needed. The terms of treatment are determined by the attending physician on an individual basis.
- Inhalation solution. One bottle of solution – one inhalation. The course of treatment lasts at least 1 month, while the therapeutic effect is achieved only in the long term. Acute attacks of bronchial asthma are stopped by other, more potent medications. To use this dosage form, special inhalers are required. Nebulizers are convenient to use – they convert the medicinal solution into steam and allow the drug to be delivered deeper into the respiratory tract.
In all cases, at the end of the course, it is necessary for the last week to gradually reduce the dosage of the drug for a smooth transition to the usual regimen.
Despite the fact that cases of the development of undesirable consequences after the use of Cromohexal are rare, it is important to know about each possible complication in order to navigate in time if they develop. Depending on the dosage form, the following side reactions may occur during the course of the drug:
- After using the spray, irritation of the nasal mucosa, sneezing and coughing, runny nose, and occasionally nosebleeds. Various allergic manifestations, dry mouth and headaches are possible.
- Burying the eyes can lead to short-term blurred vision, watery eyes, a burning sensation, swelling of the conjunctival sac, or the sensation of a speck in the eye. Occasionally, barley becomes a reaction, as well as superficial damage to the corneal epithelium. With improper use and storage of the drug, infection is possible, up to the need to use antibiotics.
- In the case of using the solution for inhalation, skin rashes, inflammation of the digestive system, irritation of the respiratory tract mucosa or a mild cough may occur. The most extreme and rare option is the development of a reflex spasm of the bronchi.
In the presence of any of the above reactions, it is necessary to stop the course of therapy and consult a doctor in order to find a replacement for the drug.
Separately, it should be said about the precautions. In case of using eye drops, contact lenses should not be worn 15 minutes before and after the procedure. Before use, it is advisable to thoroughly rinse the lenses in a special solution. The tip of the pipette should not touch the eye during instillation, and it is important to close the bottle carefully after use. This dosage form, when administered simultaneously, reduces the need for ophthalmic medications containing hormonal components.
Reviews about the drug Cromohexal are mostly positive. The tool, as a rule, is cheaper than analogues, it is supplied to regular production and is always on sale.